Art Düsseldorf
Concept

ART DÜSSELDORF 2021
With its upcoming edition, Art Düsseldorf is permanently moving its date to spring. The fourth edition of Art Düsseldorf will take place from April 16 to 18, 2021, in the Alte Schmiedehalle of Areal Böhler in Düsseldorf. The registration period for exhibitors runs from September 30 to November 30, 2020.

At Art Düsseldorf 2021 established as well as young, regional and international galleries will show contemporary art in the spacious and light-flooded Alte Schmiedehalle of Areal Böhler in Düsseldorf. Complemented by a selected presentation of significant large-scale sculptural projects, the fair positions itself in the region and in Europe as an art fair with international appeal and quality.

As a fair for the most significant developments in contemporary art and the latest trends in the art market, Art Düsseldorf benefits from the top-class collector community of North Rhine-Westphalia and the neighboring European countries. Here, Art Düsseldorf reaches almost 90% of all European collectors and, in addition, has expanded its extensive collector’s network within the last three editions in globally active metropolises such as Taipei, Tokyo, New Delhi and Düsseldorf’s international partner cities Warsaw and Chongqing.

THREE SUCCESSFUL EDITIONS
With over 40,000 visitors a year and excellent feedback from gallery owners, curators and collectors on an open and outstanding fair experience, Art Düsseldorf has successfully established its strong profile as a fair for contemporary art. In its fourth edition, Art Düsseldorf once again provides an essential overview of the most important developments of art-historically relevant positions and artistic discourses of the 21st century.

AN EXCEPTIONAL VENUE
With Areal Böhler in Düsseldorf, a former steel factory complex in a prime location, the fair has chosen an unusual and unconventional exhibition venue ideally suited for the presentation of art. Here, the clear layout of the hall area provides in its openness a unique environment for the experience of contemporary art. As a platform for the exhibition of first-class art objects and ambitious young displays, Areal Böhler thus creates a unique context for experiencing current trends in the art market, which, in symbiosis with its history of a regional industrial culture, challenges the perception of artistic positions and works.

HIGH-PROFILE GALLERIES
Art Düsseldorf presents modern and contemporary art from galleries in the Rhineland, Germany and the Benelux countries, as well as other internationally important players, with a top-class program. Art Düsseldorf chooses galleries that present relevant positions and artistic representatives in their program and in their educational work, both for collectors in the region and for international collectors who are attracted by the history of the Düsseldorf art scene and who also want to get to know new positions from the Rhineland. The participating galleries are selected by an internationally renowned committee of experts.

A UNIQUE EXPERIENCE
The visit to Art Düsseldorf is a meeting place for experts and art lovers alike. With a clear focus on contemporary art, the fair provides an overview of the most important current trends, coupled with significant positions in recent art history. If you wish, you can be guided around the fair and enter into an interesting and inspiring dialogue with art in 60 minutes. The fair experience offers many discoveries.

THE CITY’S ROLE FOR ART DÜSSELDORF
With its art academy, exhibition venues, museums and private collections, the city of Düsseldorf has a strongly developed and internationally renowned art scene. With Düsseldorf as its location, the fair is positioned at the heart of a metropolitan region with ten million inhabitants at the center of one of the most dynamic regions in Western Europe in terms of art and culture. Art Düsseldorf is thus embedded in a dense urban cultural landscape – with important art institutions on the Rhine and Ruhr, in Cologne and Bonn, and with Essen and Bochum in the immediate vicinity. The close cooperation between the fair management and galleries as well as regional art institutions is the key to Art Düsseldorf’s success. This results in a regular sequence of important purchases for the municipal and supra-regional museums and cultural institutions.

COOPERATION WITH SANDY ANGUS AND TIM ETCHELLS
Since May 2019, Art Düsseldorf has had two strong global and internationally networked partners at its side in Sandy Angus and Tim Etchells. The fair organizers hold a total of 40.1 per cent in art.fair International GmbH, organizer of Art Düsseldorf. The remaining 59.9 per cent of the shares are equally owned by Walter Gehlen and Andreas Lohaus. As organizers of international art and photography fairs, Sandy Angus and Tim Etchells have a worldwide network at their disposal, which they contribute to the strategic partnership with Art Düsseldorf.